Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bryan's Beautiful Bookshelves





I don't mean to be a copy-cat by blogging, but it seems to be the only way I'm going to be able to get out of the "dog house" with Bryan..... Plus, this way I'll be able to keep a record of our family life, since I hate to scrapbook.

These pictures are of the awesome shelves that Bryan built. He's quite handy and likes to build all kinds of things. He really does a great job, but I forget how sensitive he can be sometimes.

We had the basic frame of the shelves put together. It was just a few sheets of birch plywood thrown together, nothing special. He asked how it looked, and I told him it looked like a couple of newlyweds built it. I only meant that it was just plywood nailed together, but it REALLY hurt his feelings. I knew he wasn't done, and I told him I was sure that his finishing touches would make it look great when he was all done, but it was too late. The damage had been done.

I explained to him that I was referring to my parents. They were very poor when they got married, and my dad built a lot of the shelves and other furniture. He also did (and does) a great job, just like Bryan. When my dad builds something, it's tough enough to last through the Millennium. Seriously. He helped me build stairs for my dogs to get in and out of bed with me, and they are so sturdy, I can climb around on them. So comparing Bryan's work to my dad's should NOT have been an insult to him, but I did hurt his feelings.

To make it up to him, I promised to create a Blog for our family, and the first posting would be in honor of his bookshelves, which really turned out great once we got all the detail work done. Please make sure and let Bryan know if you like the shelves he built; post a comment here or send him an email: bryankw@gmail.com

By the way, the bead board-backing was my idea. :)

6 comments:

Cath said...

The shelves look fabulous. Simply amazing!

Malissa said...

Blog looks great!! So do the shelves!! Lookin good!!

Malissa said...

I linked you to my account so all the Seattle fam can you check you out too!

Mom said...

Cool bookshelves Bryan!

Kristy said...

The bookshelves are awesome!! I think the beadboard was a great addition.

Malissa said...

update your blog...i'm getting bored with the bookshelves!! What else is new??