Sunday, October 21, 2007

Dirt Moving Day

Wow!! What a Saturday. A fun day of moving 3 tons of dirt from the front yard to the back. We wanted to raise up the area behind our beautiful retaining wall, so Bryan ordered and had delivered 3 tons of dirt. It didn't look like much in a pile in front of the house until we had to shovel it into the wheelbarrow and dump it in the backyard. Well, I mean it as a "Royal We." Really, Bryan had most of it done before I even woke up. He's such a sweetheart. Don't worry, I helped when I woke up. Then I cleaned the kitchen while he went to bed early. See last picture below. :)











Anyways, after we got all of the dirt dumped and smoothed out, we went to Home Depot (my dad always says that it's not a Saturday without at least one trip to the Depot) and bought thick plastic and 45 feet of light brown astroturf. We laid out the plastic first, to keep weeds out, and also to keep mud from coming up through the astroturf. Then we laid out the carpet and nailed it down with giant 10 inch spikes and washers to keep it from poking through. Now our dog run is all carpeted, so the dogs won't track in so much dirt, so they won't get all muddy when it rains, and so they won't have to walk on hot rocks/gravel. We hope this turns out to be a good idea and they don't destroy it. Now, if only we can pry the dogs away from my dad! He loves them! Even if we can't get them back, it looks like nice smooth gravel, and the best part is the easy maintanence: we just hose it down, or use the leaf blower!


Such a hard worker! He fell asleep while taking off his shoes! Only got half-done before he was snoozing!

5 comments:

Rogers Family said...

That is hilarious!!! I am glad you guys are enjoying your projects!!! Hope you all had a great weekend and are well rested..

Unknown said...

I really REALLY need to come over! :-)

Chad~Nicole said...

I love the one shoe picture.

Kristy said...

Looks great. I can't wait to come over and check it out!

Malissa said...

That's what dad use to do...one shoe on, one off! Too funny. Except he didn't drool as I see you do! Nasty!