Friday, November 21, 2008

The End of an Era

Well, so long 20s, hello 30s. I'm actually happy to be turning 30. I've been through a lot, and I've done a lot. I feel like I've earned it.

For quite a few years now at each birthday, my sister and I have been choosing a theme song for the up-coming year. I loved the idea that a song can bring to mind a specific movie or tv show, and liked the idea of a song bringing to mind a specific year. And it really does! Choosing a new song has become my favorite part of my birthday. Here's a list of my birthday songs, all but one: the only birthday during the last marriage. I can't remember. Guess I just blocked it out. Anyway, you can see where I was in my life, and where I was hoping it was headed.

30: "Just the Two of Us" by George Benson
29: "The Great Pagoda of Fun" by Donald Fagen (look up the lyrics; it's great!)
28: "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw
27: "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (it was the Dixie Chicks' version that first inspired me, but officially I had to go with the original.)
26: "
25: "Why Georgia" by John Mayer
24: "Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin
23: "One Day Closer" by Carolyn Dawn Johnson
22: "I Love to See the Temple"
21: "I Hope They Call Me on a Mission"
20: "Dance the Night Away" by Van Halen
19: "Hey Nineteen" by Steely Dan
18: "Barely Bloomin' Eighteen" by Ace of Base (don't laugh- it was 1996)
17: "Dancin' Queen" by ABBA

What's YOUR theme song??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I will survive! :-)

Malissa said...

Well...I don't have a theme song...but I'm gonna start thinking of one for the new year! That's a fun little thing you guys do!! Love the list!

Cath said...

You know, I haven't kept a list, and I don't think I would remember all mine. I've been meaning to see how many I can remember/look up. And I STILL haven't picked this year's song. How lame is that?!