Thursday, June 25, 2009

Good Looks and/or Musical Ability

I like to quiz Bryan when we are listening to the radio to see if he knows who's playing, and then teach him things about the artist/group. So last night I was teaching Bryan about Ted Nugent, and I was telling him how he is not good looking. Bryan said, "Name a rocker who is!" Here's our conversation:

"L.L. Cool J." I mean, his name is Ladies Love Cool James. You can't deny that.
"No, he's a rapper, not a rocker."
"Okay, Justin Timberlake."
"No, he's Boy Band."
"Oh no he's not! But I will agree that he's not a 'rocker.' Hmmm..."
"Think of the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith....Not good looking. You can't rock and be good looking."
"I will think of someone!"

About 3 hours later, as I was brushing my teeth, I thought of Jim Morrison. The Doors were rock, and he was good looking. Got one! Bryan was in the kitchen so I shouted down the stairs at him, "Jim Morrison from The Doors!" I had to explain to him who The Doors are, but then he agreed that I found one. I thought, there has to be more! So today I asked my parents if they could think of any.

They both agreed with Jim Morrison, but they said only in his younger days. (Isn't that how good looks work with all people? Only in our younger years...) My mom suggested Rick Springfield. He was so good looking he's been on tv shows as a true actor, not as his famous self. We were debating whether he was truly "rock," but we gave it to her. My dad suggested David Lee Roth. Now, we all know that the true rock and roll talent lies with the Van Halen brothers, but we will give it to David for being the voice and personality for the band. I agreed that he was probably good looking, as far as 80's standards go. I can't watch those 80's videos and not laugh. Yikes, what a decade. But we had already established that it's good looks for their younger years, and probably height of popularity, so it doesn't matter what he looks like by today's standards.

But that was it. Jim Morrison, Rick Springfield, and David Lee Roth.
Was John Bon Jovi good looking in the 80's also?

Can you think of others?

8 comments:

Malissa said...

Lenny Kravitz...is he rock...he's hot!

Chelsea said...

Jon Bon Jovi is hot enough now to count for all of the 80's hair mishaps.

Kristy said...

I was getting a little nervous that you were not going to mention Jon Bon Jovi...PHEW! I think he is the hottest! I also have to say...Slash and Bret Michaels! But now he is gross on his show.

Candace- Bryan said...

Oh yes! Lenny Kravitz IS hot! and rock. Good call, Malissa!

I actually was thinking of Kristy when I realized Bon Jovi had been left out! Lol. Even though we were just counting their early days, he is STILL hot!

Slash is not bad but the hat is kooky. Bret Michaels was cute then, but you're right, he's gross on his show now. He could be cute if he tried though.

Good call, girls!

Cath said...

One of the Blink guys is pretty attractive.

Rick Gleason said...

Eddie Van Halen used to be!

Marie said...

ummm...you TOTALLY loved Bon Jovi when we were in high school. I remember you telling me how hot he was and I didn't even know who he was.
AND, are you going to carry on the Gifford tradition of the "C" names or is that just a coincidence?

Marie said...

Oh and Steven Tyler is a total fox along with Gene Simmons, come on!